Introduction

I am currently the DANCAP Private Equity Chair in Human Organization and Professor of Human Resource Management at Western University (January 2021 to present), prior to which I worked at the School of Management (Swansea University), Birmingham Business School (University of Birmingham), and Cardiff Business School (Cardiff University).

I am interested in the changing nature of employee and industrial relations, the role of trade unions within the high performance paradigm and employee voice in business ethics and corporate social responsibility. My research to date has been focused largely on the civil aviation industry. I have published my research in a range of journals such as Work, Employment and Society, European Journal of Industrial Relations, Journal of Business Ethics, Industrial Relations Journal, Human Resource Management Journal, International Journal of Human Resource Management and Employee Relations, while my PhD thesis was published as a book, Management in the Airline Industry, by Routledge. My research has been reported by People Management magazine and Transport International magazine. I have produced several reports for the International Labour Organisation, International Transport Workers Federation, European Transport Workers Federation and British Air Line Pilots Association.

I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an Editorial Board member of Human Relations.

I am an enthusiastic teacher and I genuinely enjoy my time at the "chalk face" as my student evaluations (see Teaching and Administrative Experience below) demonstrate. My passion for teaching was formally recognised in 2012 when I received a Distinguished Teaching Award at Swansea University, again in 2015 when I was nominated for a University of Birmingham Teaching Academy Award for Educational Enhancement and Innovation and once again in 2016 when I was nominated for the University of Birmingham and Guild of Students Outstanding Teaching Award.

Prior to my career in academia, I worked in manufacturing management and in executive recruitment (I hold a Recruitment and Employment Confederation certificate in recruitment practice). I have also gained experience as the administrator of an operating procedure project team, as a care assistant for children with severe learning disabilities and as a refuse collector.

I am a fitness enthusiast who believes that exercise is an effective means of reducing stress and anxiety. I am a huge fan of the Concept 2 Skierg and I'm proud that I finished the 2017 season with the greatest distance over 60 minutes. However, I also believe that management mandated exercise for employees (inspired by research into the benefits to the firm of a fit and active workforce) are deeply problematic as elaborated in my 2019 paper "Corporate Wellness: What, Why Not and Whither?".

Contact details:
Email - gharvey2@uwo.ca